International and domestic airlines, ship owners and charterers, P&I clubs, road hauliers, trading houses, energy companies, together with forwarders, agents, brokers and logistics companies all benefit from our unrivalled expertise and experience in the transport industry.
HWL Ebsworth is routinely listed as the pre-eminent transport and trade law firm in Australia. "The key difference…was the depth and breadth of skills within… HWL Ebsworth" (Doyle's 2011).
The expertise within our dedicated transport and trade teams, and their collaboration with the firm's other practices, means we are uniquely placed to meet all the legal needs within the transport and trade industries.
Our lawyers are client driven and commercial. Whether negotiating contracts, dealing with governments and regulators, responding to emergencies, assisting with claims, managing complex litigation or advising on workplace and taxation issues, our team has the experience and know how to ensure that our clients achieve the best possible legal result.
Our relevant experience includes:
- acting for charterers (Lauritzen) following the grounding off Newcastle in 2007 of the Panamax MV Pasha Bulker;
- reviewing standard trading conditions of major international forwarders and logistics services providers for relevance to the Australian environment;
- acting for tug and insurers in complex proceedings involving collision, salvage, enforcement of international arbitral awards, and conflict of laws;
- acting for Qantas Airways and its aviation insurers for over 20 years;
- acting for Tiger Airways Australia in proceedings brought by CASA, and successfully returning Tiger to flying operations; and
- acting for British Airways and its aviation insurers in the watershed Australian High Court case on liability for Deep Vein Thrombosis, successfully arguing that airlines are not liable.